The 8848 Women’s Challenge is an ultra cycling event with different formats to allow everyone to succeed. The most avid rider may do it without stopping in one go. The others may want to choose to freely arrange their 36 hours so that they finish the challenge in confidence and with pride.
The 8848 Women’s Challenge will take place from Friday 27th August at 6am to Saturday 28th August at 6pm, in the heart of the Pyrenees, in the city of Lourdes, South-West France.
The aim is to cover 360 km with a total elevation gain of 8,848m in 36 hours. Yes, not the traditional Everesting challenge, but challenge all the same !
Will you be a finisher ?
Le 8848 WOMEN’S CHALLENGE, out of your reach ?
The first instinct is to think that the challenge is a bit crazy, and that it is only for highly-trained and motivated people. We don’t think so !
… we don’t think so, anyone can achieve it !
The way we have designed it, this event is accessible to any cyclist who trains regularly and is ready to commit themselves to it as a personal challenge:
- The participants have 36 hours to complete the 360 km. This seems like a lot to do, but, in fact, the circuit can be done in 24 hours, keeping to an average speed of 15km/h.
- The route is organized into 3 well-balanced loops which start and finish at an apartment hotel in Lourdes. After each loop, it is possible de stop, eat and rest there. Everyone can ride according to their own strategy..
- The climbing is spread out over the whole 360 km..
- Each participant will be equipped with a geolocation tag which will allow him or her to pinpoint his/her position on the route at all times.
A magnificent route
Not only will you climb the legendary passes of this part of the Pyrenees, but you will also discover winding roads through quiet and spectacular valleys. The routes have been planned out by locals, and tested by women who are not known to be born grimpeurs. You are garanteed moments of pure pleasure, of beautiful views and personal achievements!
The definitive route will be sent by email to the participants at the beginning of August, 2021.
Two levels of autonomy are possible
- le format “BIKEPACKING” The Bikepacking format: possibility of completing the route in one go, managing rest time, nutrition and hydration. The idea being to discover the word of Ultracycling. However, it is mandatory to check in at base camp at the end of each loop.
- le format libre : The free format: those who so desire can plan their riding as they feel like it, while taking advantage of their visit to base camp to rest and eat. It is possible, for example, to do the first two loops on the Friday and to complete the third loop on the Saturday.
The programme of the 8848 WOMEN’S CHALLENGE
- Thursday 26th August: welcoming participants – checking registrations – briefing
- Friday 27th August: departure at 6am in front of the Lorda Hotel-Residence l’hôtel-résidence LE LORDA
- Saturday 28th August: end of the challenge at 6pm – Finishers’ Get-together
To register for the 8848 WOMEN’S CHALLENGE
The event is open to women and men, with a limit of 100 participants. 50 places are reserved exclusively for women.
The registration fee is set at 50 euros. It includes:
- The use of a geolocalisation tag throughout the event and the tracking of the journey in real time on the application SOLUCHRONO.
- The starter bag, including the Road Book for the challenge and various promotional items.
- A reduced rate for all reservations at the l’hôtel-résidence LE LORDA.
- Priority maintenance service by next door’s bike shop, café and bike hire Bike&Py
- Access to the food-stop at base camp
- The ‘Finishers’ Get-together’, a convivial moment to finish off the event at base camp, with some lottery give-aways from Bryton France
The collector’s jersey for the event.
You can buy the jersey via the link:
As a souvenir of this memorable weekend, it is possible – between January and 31th of May 2021 – to buy the collector’s jersey. The jersey is designed by the RAPHA design team, based on the model ‘WOMEN’S PRO TEAM LIGHTWEIGHT JERSEY’
- The Premium Pack, which includes the registration and the collector’s jersey: 110 euros (Please note: offer available until the 28th February, 2021)
- From 1st March, the Premium Pack: 120 euros
- Jersey only: 70 euros
The accommodation package:
L’hôtel-résidences LE LORDA welcomes the 8848 Women’s Challenge as the base camp. Throughout the weekend, you can rest and eat there; all the studios have a kitchen.
- One person studio: 40 euros/night
- Studio for two people (double bed or two single beds, on request): 50 euros/night
- Studio for three people (double bed + sofa-bed or 2 single beds + sofa bed): 60 euros/night
You can get more information by completing the Registration Form
Please also read the regulations of the 8848 Women’s Challenge:
We’re looking forward to seeing you all to share in a unique and wonderful moment of cycling. A challenge set in stunning scenery to do at your own pace. So, will you be at the 8848 Women’s Challenge?
And do not hesitate to contact us for any questions : email@example.com